Saturday, July 11, 2009

Leek and Chicken Salad (SCD, GFCF)

There's lots of vegetables in the produce dept. that I notice but never purchase. I'm never sure what to do with them, or even know what some would even taste like. My goal is to incorporate more of these into our everyday fare. If you don't have any leeks, diced celery and a little minced onion would work nicely. I usually crock pot a small chicken and use the meat for a salad or casserole. This is a very simple salad and makes a good lunch for work.

2-3 cups Diced Chicken
2 Leeks, sliced into 1/4" rings, use tender green parts
3 small apples, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Dressing
1/2 to 1 cup Mayonnaise (for SCD use homemade)
1 teas Lemon Juice
1 TBSP Honey
1 to 2 TBSP Oil (I use Flaxseed Oil, to make my coat shiny)

Put sliced leek in a colander and rinse well. I like mine in smaller pieces so I dice them a little more. Put in a skillet with a little oil or broth and saute until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Cool. Toss with chicken and apple. Season to taste. Whisk dressing ingredients together and toss in. Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment