Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Basil Chicken Salad (SCD, GFCF)


I planted some basil and other herbs with my flowers this year. It's so nice to have fresh herbs on hand. You can make the basil oil the day before, it's even better. I let my crock pot cook the chicken for me while I'm at work. The next day I throw the bones and bits back into the crock pot to make broth.

1 cup Basil Leaves, rinsed
3/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups Chicken, cooked and diced
1 10-oz container Grape or Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half
1 small Red Onion, finely diced
2-3 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
1 teas Dijon Mustard or Dry Mustard Powder
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Blanch the basil in boiling water for about 5 seconds, then rinse with cold water. Squeeze out the water. Add to blender with oil and pulse to combine. You can chill it overnight for more flavor.

Add chicken, tomatoes and onion to a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, add basil oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic. Whisk until combined. Toss with chicken. Salt and Pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. Upon seeing the chicken salad, my mouth started watering! Wish I could have some right now!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete