Sunday, June 27, 2010

Coconut Shrimp Curry (SCD, GFCF)



This recipe was adapted from "The Ubiquitous Shrimp" by Judith Choate. It wasn't just adapted for the SCD, it was adapted for what I had on hand at the time. This dish was entirely scrounged up from my freezer and pantry. I wish I had some red bell peppers and cilantro on hand, they would have worked well. The original recipe called for cashews which I did not have, but you may want to add. This recipe makes a lot, which is on purpose. I wanted to have extra to freeze for lunches and busy nights. This is also my submission for this months "Go Ahead Honey It's Gluten-Free". The fabulous Zoe of "Z's Cup of Tea" is hosting and the theme is Dairy Free Delights

2 TBSP Oil
1 TBSP Fresh Ginger, minced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 TBSP Madras Style Curry Powder
Cayenne to Taste (Optional)
Salt to Taste
1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk
1 (12 oz) Bag Frozen Mango, thawed (or fresh)
8 oz Clam Juice
1 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 (10 oz) Bag Frozen Green Beans
1 cup Carrots, in match sticks
1 Red Bell Pepper, julienned
1 (2 lb) bag Shrimp, shelled
Green Onions(about 4), sliced for Garnish
Cilantro

Run shrimp under cold water to thaw. Puree mango in a blender.

In a large wok or frying pan. Heat oil. Saute ginger, garlic and spices for a minute or two. Stir in coconut milk. Stir in clam juice. Stir in mango and lemon juice. Add veggies and cook to simmer until veggies are close to your liking. Stir in shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp is pink.

Here is a link for Madras Curry Powder or you can try one part Tumeric with one part Chili Powder.

7 comments:

  1. This looks yummy - I love curries! Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. So colorful! I bet that it is full of flavor too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to make this today for lunch! My sister and I loved it, so thanks heaps! we had some cashews, so added them in right after the spices; ate this with rice noodles-my family is big on noodles :) jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cranky, Thanks and I bet rice noodles would be good here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful summer dish! I love all things curry! I really like the spice blends that you posted.

    Spices have been freaking me out lately. I've been looking closer at the labels. Sometimes I fail at this because in my head I think, "oh good! Paprika, its legal!"

    I was horrified at what I found in my spice rack. A lot of my spices had silicone dioxide in it (to prevent caking)! There's nothing about it that sounds like food :(

    I've replaced most of my spices over the past few months and now I buy a lot of them whole. I chuck them into a coffee grinder that I use for spices only.

    Your recipe is a nice way to use up my spices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Fern,
    Spices can be a minefield. I've been glutoned a couple times from spice blends at restaurants (watch out for anything with Lemon Pepper). I've been using Simply Organic brand, but I can't vouch for them being SCD or not.

    Post your spice blends if you come across some good ones. I would like to experiment with more spices, our family really enjoys the flavors.

    ReplyDelete