Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Jelled Cranberry Sauce with Honey and Mixed Berries (SCD, GFCF)



It's funny how everyone has a different opinion on how holiday dishes are supposed to taste. I've heard people grumble about going to an in laws house for Thanksgiving because they don't make the stuffing right. Or that they prefer ham but the in laws make turkey. Or that no one could make pumpkin pie like their mother. Or that so-and-so doesn't even make pumpkin pie and all they served was cake.

My grandmother made the best cranberry sauce. It was quite easy and so yummy. She used boxed cherry jello, applesauce and cranberry sauce. I loved it. To me, that was how cranberry sauce was supposed to taste. For three years I have been trying to make a SCD version and I finally got it! It doesn't have any applesauce in it at all, but it tastes just like hers.

I used fresh cranberries for this but have been told that frozen cranberries are less tart. I have not tried it yet but they would probably work. The raspberries and strawberries cut out most of the tartness leaving only a hint.

Note: For those following the SCD, make sure the frozen berries have no added ingredients.


2 (12 oz each) bags Fresh Cranberries
1 (10 oz) bag Frozen Raspberries, thawed
1 (10 oz) bag Frozen Strawberries, thawed
1 1/2 cups Honey
4 packets (about 4 TBSP) Knox Unflavored Gelatin
2 cups Water
1 cup Water

Pick out and mushy or pale cranberries. I wound up with about 5 cups. Rinse cranberries and place in a medium saucepan with 2 cups water and other berries. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, pour in 1 cup cold water. Sprinkle in gelatin and let it sit.

Hold a large mesh strainer over the bowl with the gelatin. Ladle the softened cranberry mixture into the strainer, a few ladles at a time, and use a wooden spoon to press through the mesh. Stir the hot liquid with the gelatin to dissolve. Then ladle in the rest of the berries into the strainer. Repeat. Stir in the honey. Cover and refrigerate overnight until set.

5 comments:

  1. Tracee, that sounds so good! I am normally not a cranberry sauce fan, but your recipe has me enticed! Thanks for sharing, Ina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found using a food grinder makes this process much much easier. Love the recipe btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This looks really yummy!

    My family has a weird fetish for the can marks/ridges embedded on canned cranberry sauce because that is how my parents (products of the 1950s) served it at Thanksgiving: fresh out of the can!

    I was thinking...I should make this recipe, then pour it into a can to set up. That way, we could have the can ridges we all get so silly and nostalgic about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny...and I actually know somebody who would do that to get her daughter to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cranberry sauce and this version sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete