Sunday, December 19, 2010

Avgolemono Soup - For What Ails You (SCD, GFCF)

It was bound to happen. An occupational hazard of my new career change has just caught up with me. I think I might have the flu. Since October I have been a rural convenience store clerk. I really enjoy my job.  I also get the local scoop on what's going on in our little town. This scoop always includes what bugs are going around as well.  I see lots of stuffed-up folks and parents who have been up all night with a sick kid (some of them in my son's class) come in for Gatorade, seven-up, over the medicines, and of course, cans of chicken noodle soup. It was only a matter of time for it to arrive in our household. We've done well so far, which I suspect the extra vitamin C, elderberry and junk free diet has helped. Now that it's here, I want to find the best ways to get rid of it. There's much to be said for age old remedies, especially the one about chicken soup. It's even been dubbed "Jewish Penicillin". As usual, science eventually catches up with what grandmothers have known all along (here, here, here, and here).

However, Greek folks will tell you that it's not just any chicken soup that can do this. They will say it is their mother's avgolemono soup that can cure anything. I have had the honor of watching a greek friend's mother prepare this soup. Traditionally it contains orzo, a small gluten pasta. For those of you who consume gluten, you can cook the orzo in the broth before adding the egg mixture. For those of you who eat rice (non SCD legal), you can add a cup of cooked rice to the soup.

Avgolemono Soup

4 cups Chicken Broth
3 Large Eggs
Juice of one Lemon

In a tall stock pot, heat both to a boil. In a small bowl, using a hand mixer, mix eggs until frothy, about 30 seconds. Add lemon juice and blend another 30 seconds. Then, with and oven mitt, slightly rock stock pot back and forth, without sloshing to broth out of the pot. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pot while rocking it. The goal is to combine the egg and the broth without separating the egg. Heat for about one minute. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment