Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Alchemy of Flavor

Tweaking Tastes and Creating Cravings with Morley Safer. Stephen Guyenet posted on this 60 Minutes report today. It goes behind the closed doors of the flavor creating industry. It also sheds some light on why the ingredient "natural flavor" gives you no idea of what you are putting into your body. Morley does a great job of presenting both sides respectfully. For those of you starting the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, GAPS, Paleo or any other diet forsaking processed foods, I hope this will help strengthen your motivation.

2 comments:

  1. I saw that episode last Sunday on 60 Minutes. It was quite disturbing, the way that "natural flavorings" exist in almost every food product on the shelves but are the furthest things from being natural. I used to kind of think that maybe "natural flavorings" were just extracts of actual foods, but after seeing this I know that is definitely not the case. Even though I am already on SCD I am even more careful now of even the meats I buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up an excellent point. Many meat are shot up with a "solution" that can have preservatives and natural flavors added too it. I read the packages carefully. I was also thrilled when a local farmer here started offering chickens, it's a great way to avoid the junk.

    ReplyDelete